Catfish Jac

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Lake Somerville @ Welch Park 2/21/08 - 2/23/08

Since the fishing wasn't that great, I'll talk about the burger first.

Behold the majestic $2 Buck's Cheeseburger:
I had 3 of them in 3 days! Be sure to try one if you ever pass through Somerville, TX. Give them a call about 10 minutes out and it'll be ready when you get there:
979-596-3033
979-596-3035
The even have 20 lb bags of ice for $ 0.99! I've been told that the deli sandwiches are big and meaty but I'm still stuck on the cheeseburger.

Here's a couple shots of my fishing area:



I caught 4 channel cats on DK blood punch bait and 1 on chicken gizzard. Thursday night I had 16 hooks out with Redneck soap bait but didn't have any luck with it. I usually score at least on nice cat on the soap bait with just a single throw line so I guess I'll blame it on the cold front that roared in very early Friday morning.

Here's a couple of crappy shots of a plane that was doing some strange manuevers Friday afternoon:



That crazy plane seemed like it was circling the lake. A couple of times it seemed to skim close to the surface of the lake and then pull up suddenly near the shore of Welch Park and then pull a hard bank where the plane was complete sideways. This went on for a few hours and I saw a helicopter in the area at one point as well. I had some technical difficulties with my camera so I didn't get any shots of the good close stuff.

I'd also like to note that will all the rainfall lately the lake isn't up that much from where it's been for the last several months. The spillway was certainly in full flow. I saw that some folks had actually put a boat into Yegua Creek just downstream from the spillway. Striper time? I didn't even know that stripers could live in a creek/river but I'm still learning this stuff.

2 Comments:

  • Hello there! I stumbled across your blog trying to find some tips about fishing in Lake Somerville.... I read through all your entries... Do you still blog? Ill follow the comments to see if you respond. Thanks for your info.

    By Blogger Trance104, at 6/14/2009 2:04 AM  

  • Hi, Sorry I'm so late getting back. I've been out of the fishing action for a while but that's all about to change!

    By Blogger Catfish Jac, at 8/10/2009 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home